Rio, Iguacu Falls, Amazon, beach extensions
10 - 16 days
Spend 3 nights in Rio, visiting Corcovado & Sugar Loaf, 2 nights at Iguacu Falls on the border with Argentina, 3 nights at an Amazon lodge, followed by optional extensions to beaches at Praia do Forte, Buzios or Ilha Grande.
Spend three nights in Rio - perhaps the most beautifully located city in the world - visiting Sugar Loaf and Corcovado, with time free to enjoy Copacabana and Ipanema beaches. Next is Iguacu Falls on the Brazil-Argentina border. There are paths through the forest and walkways from which you can peer into the very middle of the falls. Fly up to the Amazonian city of Manaus and spend three nights in a jungle lodge with boat trips, guided walks and the chance to fish for piranha and spot caiman by night.
After Manaus, you can fly home, or continue to other parts of Brazil. See the itinerary and pricing sections for some ideas including the beaches of north-east Brazil at Praia do Forte, the colonial town of Paraty and tropical Ilha Grande.
- Day 1. Arrive Rio de Janeiro
- Arrive in Rio de Janeiro, where you'll be met and driven to your hotel. Spend three nights in Rio.
- Day 2. Christ the Redeemer and Santa Teresa
- Take a jeep tour to Corcovado mountain, topped by the famous statue of Christ the Redeemer. Continue to Tijuca forest and finish with a visit to the bohemian district of Santa Teresa.
- Day 3. Sugar Loaf
- Today you'll visit iconic Sugar Loaf, ascending by car cable, gaining beautiful views over the city.
- Day 4. To the Iguacu Falls
- You'll be driven to Rio airport for a flight to Foz do Iguazu, the city close to the Brazilian side of the mighty Iguacu Falls. On arrival you'll have a tour of the Brazilian side of the falls and then be taken to your hotel where you spend the next two nights.
- Day 5. Iguacu Falls
- Cross into Argentina and visit the opposite side of the falls. The Argentinean side has lots of walk ways, and you can peer right into the middle of the thundering falls at the Devil's Throat.
- Day 6. To the Amazon
- An early morning start takes you to Foz do Iguazu airport for your flights to the Amazonian city of Manaus. From here you travel by road and boat to your jungle lodge about 2.5 hours from Manaus. Depending on your lodge, you may travel via the Meeting of the Waters, where the Rio Negro and Rio Solimoes meet forming the Amazon ? the different coloured waters of the two rivers run parallel to each other for some distance without mixing. Spend three nights at your Amazon lodge.
- Days 7 and 8. Excursions in the Amazon
- You have two full days at your lodge. During this time, a number of excursions are included such as walks and boat trips in the rainforest, accompanied by expert guides. There are also opportunities for piranha fishing and night-time caiman spotting.
- Day 9. Depart Brazil (or continue to elsewhere in Brazil)
- Return from your lodge by boat and road to Manaus airport. From here you can either fly home (flying overnight, arriving back in the UK on day 10), or extend your holiday using one of our recommendations below.
- EXTENSION TO PRAIA DO FORTE
- From Manaus, you can fly to Salvador on Brazil's north-east coast. From here you are driven to Praia do Forte, about 45 minutes away. Praia do Forte has 12 kilometres of beaches, coconut palms, rivers, lagoons, colourful reefs and crystal-clear tidal pools. We suggest about 3 nights at Praia do Forte. You may also wish to spend a couple of nights in the city of Salvador, a fascinating place of Afro-Brazilian heritage. You can fly from Salvador back to the UK via Lisbon.
- EXTENSION TO PARATY AND ILHA GRANDE
- From Manaus, fly to Rio de Janeirp, and then you'll travel by road onwards to Paraty on Brazil's Costa Verde. The journey takes about 3 hours. Spend two nights in the charming colonial town. The cobbled streets are easily explored on foot. Next travel by road and boat to Ilha Grande, a beautiful island covered with lush forest and hiding some excellent beaches. Stay three nights. Travel back to Rio de Janeiro by boat and road, flying home late evening.
- EXTENSION TO BUZIOS
- Fly to Rio, and transfer to Buzios, a trendy beach resort 3 hours from Rio. We suggest a three night stay before flying home.
10 - 16 days
Tailor-made holidays are just that, tailored to your own individual needs, wants and wishes. As such, each trip is different and each price is different. For pricing, we ask that you discuss your individual requirements with our travel specialists so that they may provide you with a ballpark figure, or a detailed itinerary and quotation. So, for a price, please just get in touch.
Chameleon Tailor Made are experts in helping people arrange their perfect holiday, think of it as a ‘made-to-measure’ service.
If this suggested itinerary has inspired you, please click below to provide us with some basic information about yourself. We will then use this information to present you with a personalised quotation which we believe matches what you are looking for, as well as making further recommendations.
GET A QUOTE
The River Amazon is truly vast, while not quite…
Brazil's Green Coast runs from Rio south-west…
On the Brazil-Argentina border, the River Iguazu…
Stunning beaches, colonial architecture,…
Huge tropical wetlands with excellent wildlife…
Rio de Janeiro
It is hard to imagine a more beautiful setting…