Highlights of Colombia
This holiday in Colombia will give you a good taste of the country and includes some of its major highlights. You'll get a flavour of the best of Colombia's vibrant cities - Cartagena and Bogota, spend time in some of its prettiest countryside - in the Coffee Country, & see the stunning coastline of Tayrona.
The Chameleon team have arranged many holidays to Colombia over the years and have prepared the following itinerary based on our personal recommendation and experience. This journey gives a great overview of the country and we're sure it will leave you wanting to come back for more!
- See Bogota's Gold Museum and the historic La Candelaria district of the city
- Sample the excellent coffee and see how it is produced
- See giant wax palm trees in Valle de Cocora
- Visit Tayrona National Park where jungle meets the Caribbean and wild beaches
- Explore the beautiful streets of colonial Cartagena on the Caribbean Coast
- Day 1. Depart UK
- Arrive in Bogota after your flight from UK. You'll be met at the airport and taken to your hotel in La Candelaria, the historic part of Bogota where you spend the next three nights at hotel Casa Deco (standard) or La Opera (superior).
- Day 2. Walking tour of Bogota
- You'll be taken on a tour of Bogota on foot, including a visit to the world famous Gold Museum. You'll have time to explore a bit more on your own too - a trip on Monserrate cable car gives great views over the city.
- Day 3. At leisure in Bogota
- Today you can either explore on your own, or we can arrange an extra excursion for you - perhaps to Chicaque Cloud Forest, Zipaquira Salt Cathedral or to Guatavita Lagoon, home of the El Dorado legend.
- Day 4. Bogota to the Coffee Country
- Fly from Bogota to Armenia where you'll be met and taken to your hotel on a coffee farming estate. Colombia's coffee country is a beautiful, lush area dotted with typical brightly painted towns and villages. The region has a lot to offer the visitor - not just coffee! Spend three nights in the coffee country at Bosque del Saman (standard) or Sazagua Boutique (superior).
- Day 5. Salento and Valle de Cocora
- Today, you'll take a trip to Valle de Cocora where the Colombian national tree Palma de Cera can be seen. The trees are one of the tallest variety of palm in the world. The area is on the slopes of Los Nevados national park and cool. There is time for a short walk in the valley. Later the tour continues to Salento, a picturesque village full of brightly painted building and a number of handicraft shops.
- Day 6. At leisure in the Coffee Country
- You have the day at leisure. We recommend taking a tour of the estate where you are staying and seeing a demonstration of the coffee production process. Alternatively, we can arrange additional trips including a day floating gently down a river on a bamboo raft, or a trip to botanical gardens.
- Day 7. Coffee Country to Cartagena
- Fly from Pereira to Cartagena. On arrival you'll be met at the airport and taken to your hotel where you spend the next three nights. Once used by the Spanish as the storehouse for gold and other plundered treasures, the walled city of Cartagena still retains many aspects of its colonial past, with superb architecture and a relaxed Caribbean atmosphere. It is a wonderful place to explore on foot. Stay three nights at hotel Monterrey (standard) or Quadrifolio (superior).
- Day 8. Cartagena
- You'll be taken on a half day tour on foot visiting some of the most fascinating parts of Cartagena's colonial centre.
- Day 9. At leisure in Cartagena
- Either explore Cartagena further on your own, or take an extra trip - for example a boat trip to the Rosario Islands where a day can be spent snorkelling and relaxing by the sea.
- Day 10. Cartagena to Santa Marta or Tayrona
- Travel by road along the coast from Cartagena to Santa Marta passing the city of Barranquilla on the way. Stay in the city of Santa Marta at Casa Verde (standard) or in Tayrona National Park at the Ecohabs (superior) for three nights.
- Day 11. Tayrona
- If staying in Santa Marta, take a full day excursion to Tayrona National Park where you can explore the wild beaches and jungle. Some beaches have good swimming, others have strong currents. This is a great trip for nature lovers. If staying in the park, you'll have the day at leisure to explore the park on your own.
- Day 12. At leisure in Santa Marta or Tayrona
- You have the day to look around Santa Marta, or take another trip outside the city. The nearby village of Taganga is a pleasant place to spend an afternoon, or you might wish to make the full day trip to Aracataca, birthplace of Colombia's most well know author - Gabriel Garcia Marquez. If staying in Tayrona, you'll have another day at leisure to enjoy the park.
- Day 13. Depart Colombia
- Fly from Santa Marta to Bogota and connect with your onward flights back to the UK.
- Day 14. Arrive UK
- Alternative ideas
- This itinerary is simply a suggestion and can be adapted as you wish. For example, fans of dancing salsa might like to include a visit to the city of Cali, with new KLM flights to Cali starting 31 March 2015, a itinerary with 3 nights in each of Bogota, Cartagena, the coffee country and Cali makes an interesting alternative. Using characterful four star accommodation, this costs from £3,175 per person.
Tailor-made holidays are just that, tailored to your own individual needs, wants and wishes. As such, each trip is different and each price is different. For pricing, we ask that you discuss your individual requirements with our travel specialists so that they may provide you with a ballpark figure, or a detailed itinerary and quotation. So, for a price, please just get in touch.
Chameleon Tailor Made are experts in helping people arrange their perfect holiday, think of it as a ‘made-to-measure’ service.
If this suggested itinerary has inspired you, please click below to provide us with some basic information about yourself. We will then use this information to present you with a personalised quotation which we believe matches what you are looking for, as well as making further recommendations.
GET A QUOTE
Bogota & Around
Often the start or end of a trip, the capital of…
San Andres and Providencia are Caribbean islands…
Colonial streets and boutique hotels - Cartagena…
Discover Colombia's past by staying at a…
Los Llanos are tropical grassland plains…
Lost City Trek
The Lost City or Ciudad Perdida is reached by a…
Mompox & Honda
The River Magdalena flows from the south of…
With remote lodges and miles of untouched coast…
San Agustin is an impressive archaeological site,…
Tayrona National Park is on the Caribbean Coast.…
The mighty Amazon passes through the southernmost…
Villa de Leyva
Travelling north from Bogota, you reach the…