Medellin Flower Festival - August
11 days | From £2,400 (including flights)
The Medellin Flower Festival takes place during the first 10 days of August. It's a flower filled celebration made up of over 140 events from musical performances to horse shows, colourful parades and pageants. In this holiday we include three days in Medellin to sample the fiesta with the remainder of the trip spent exploring the capital, Bogota and the beautiful Caribbean city of Cartagena.
The colours and sounds of the Medellin Flower Festival will be a true highlight of this trip, we include three days in the city to take in the celebrations. The festival lasts the first 10 days of August, this tailor-made Colombian holiday can be adapted to fit with the dates you can travel. We suggest including the capital Bogota - itself a major flower producer and Cartagena, a must-see colonial city on the Caribbean Coast.
You may wish to add in a stay in the lush Coffee Country, a trip to Villa de Leiva, wild Tayrona National Park with its unspoilt beaches, or the laid-back island of Providencia. Another highlight for August in Colombia is whale watching on the Pacific Coast (easily reached from Medellin).
- Day 1. To Colombia
- Departing the UK in the morning, fly to Bogota, arriving the same evening. You'll be met at the airport and taken to your hotel located in the colonial centre of the city. Stay 2 nights in Bogota.
- Day 2. Bogota
- Today, you'll explore Bogota on a walking tour of the colonial centre - La Candelaria, taking in some of the main sights including the famous Gold Museum before ending with a cable car trip up Monserrate for sweeping views over the city.
- Day 3. To Medellin
- You'll be driven to Bogota airport for your flight to Medellin. On arrival you'll be driven to your hotel in El Poblado, a modern section of the city. Spend three nights here.
- Days 4 and 5. Medellin Flower Festival
- Spend the following days enjoying the dazzling colours and lively celebrations of the Medellin Flower Festival. The exact events you will see will depend on the dates you are here. The Silleteros parade on the final day of the festival is considered a highlight: men, women, and children proudly carry on their backs a floral depiction of their lives, land and culture. Other events include musical performances, horse shows and chiva show where the traditional bright coloured buses are paraded through the city.
- Day 6. To Cartagena
- From Medellin, you fly to Cartagena on the Caribbean Coast where you stay for the next three nights of our suggested holiday. Once used by the Spanish as the storehouse for gold and other plundered treasures, the walled city still retains many aspects of its colonial past, with wonderful architecture and a laid-back Caribbean atmosphere.
- Day 7. Cartagena
- You'll be taken on a half day walking tour of some of the most fascinating parts of Cartagena's colonial centre.
- Day 8. At leisure to explore Cartagena
- Today you can continue to explore Cartagena on your own, or if you prefer we can arrange a day trip by boat to the Rosario Islands where you can spend a day relaxing and snorkelling. Another optional trip is an evening, horse-drawn carriage ride through Cartagena with dinner.
- Day 9. To Bogota
- Fly from Cartagena back to Bogota where you spend your final night.
- Day 10. Zipaquira Salt Cathedral and depart
- Leaving Bogota to the north, you'll cross the plains that surround the city to reach the town of Zipaquira, about 50 km away. You will visit the fully functioning Salt Cathedral. This unique building was constructed approximately 120 meters underground in a former salt mine. You'll return to Bogota airport for your overnight flights back to the UK.
- Day 11. Arrive UK
11 days | From £2,400 (including flights)
Chameleon Tailor Made are experts in helping people arrange their perfect holiday, think of it as a ‘made-to-measure’ service.
If this suggested itinerary has inspired you, please click below to provide us with some basic information about yourself. We will then use this information to present you with a personalised quotation which we believe matches what you are looking for, as well as making further recommendations.
GET A QUOTE
Bogota & Around
Often the start or end of a trip, the capital of…
San Andres and Providencia are Caribbean islands…
Colonial streets and boutique hotels - Cartagena…
Discover Colombia's past by staying at a…
Los Llanos are tropical grassland plains…
Lost City Trek
The Lost City or Ciudad Perdida is reached by a…
Mompox & Honda
The River Magdalena flows from the south of…
With remote lodges and miles of untouched coast…
San Agustin is an impressive archaeological site,…
Tayrona National Park is on the Caribbean Coast.…
The mighty Amazon passes through the southernmost…
Villa de Leyva
Travelling north from Bogota, you reach the…