Statues and Cities
This trip takes you to San Agustin, Colombia's impressive UNESCO protected archaeological site where there are hundreds of carved stone statues spread over lush mountainous terrain. The contrasting cities of Cultural Bogota and Caribbean Cartagena are included too with fascinating day trip options.
The Chameleon team have arranged many holidays to Colombia over the years and have prepared the following itinerary based on our personal recommendation and experience. This journey takes in the San Agustin region; the intriguing carved stone statues are most people's reason to visit, but you don't have to be an archaeology nut to enjoy the beautiful lush landscapes of this rural part of Colombia. Bogota has an attractive historic core, and a day trip to Zipaquira Salt Cathedral is a real highlight. Cartagena is a great place to wander around - with pretty streets and plazas in the walled city.
- See Bogota's excellent Gold Museum
- Travel underground to see the giant Zipaquira Salt Cathedral
- Walk amongst the carved stone statues of San Agustin
- Take a tour around the waterfalls and lush countryside that surround San Agustin
- Wander the colonial streets of Caribbean Cartagena
- Snorkel around the Rosario Islands
- Day 1. Depart UK
- Depart the UK in the morning arriving in Bogota the same afternoon. You'll be met at the airport and taken to your hotel in the colonial Candelaria district of the city where you spend the next three nights.
- Day 2. Bogota
- Today, you'll be taken on a tour of Bogota on foot, including a visit to the world famous Gold Museum. You'll have time to explore a bit more on your own too - a trip on Monserrate cable car gives great views over the city.
- Day 3. Zipaquira Salt Cathedral
- Leaving Bogota to the north, you'll cross the plains that surround Bogota to the town of Zipaquira, about 50 km away. Upon arrival you will be able to visit the fully functioning Salt Cathedral. This unique building was constructed approximately 120 meters underground in a former salt mine. The trip ends with a visit to Zipaquira's charming central plaza.
- Day 4. To San Agustin
- You'll be taken to Bogota airport and will fly to Neiva where you'll be met and driven to San Agustin. The journey from Neiva to San Agustin takes around six hours travelling along the fertile valley of the River Magdalena. On arrival in the small colonial town of San Agustin you'll be taken to your hotel where you spend the next three nights.
- Day 5. San Agustin Archaeological Park
- Spend the day on a guided tour of the intriguing San Agustin Archaeological Park where you walk on good paths amongst scattered carved stone statues. There are lovely views of the lush, mountainous terrain as you wander from place to place.
- Day 6. River Magdalena and Isnos
- Today you'll visit waterfalls and a number of outlying sites including the tombs of Alto de los Idolos and Alto de las Piedras.
- Day 7. To Cartagena
- Departing San Agustin the in morning, you'll return to Neiva airport for your flights via Bogota to Cartagena arriving late evening. You'll be taken to your hotel in a historic district of the city where you spend the next four nights.
- Days 8 and 9. Cartagena
- We include a half day guided tour of the city to give you an introduction. The rest of the time is free for you to explore on your own, though if you prefer we can arrange additional trips for you.
- Day 10. Rosario Islands
- You'll take a day trip by boat to the Rosario Islands where you can relax on the beach or do some snorkelling. Return mid-afternoon to Cartagena for your final night in Colombia.
- Day 11. Depart
- Fly from Cartagena overnight back to the UK.
- Day 12. Arrive UK.
Tailor-made holidays are just that, tailored to your own individual needs, wants and wishes. As such, each trip is different and each price is different. For pricing, we ask that you discuss your individual requirements with our travel specialists so that they may provide you with a ballpark figure, or a detailed itinerary and quotation. So, for a price, please just get in touch.
Chameleon Tailor Made are experts in helping people arrange their perfect holiday, think of it as a ‘made-to-measure’ service.
If this suggested itinerary has inspired you, please click below to provide us with some basic information about yourself. We will then use this information to present you with a personalised quotation which we believe matches what you are looking for, as well as making further recommendations.
GET A QUOTE
Bogota & Around
Often the start or end of a trip, the capital of…
San Andres and Providencia are Caribbean islands…
Colonial streets and boutique hotels - Cartagena…
Discover Colombia's past by staying at a…
Los Llanos are tropical grassland plains…
Lost City Trek
The Lost City or Ciudad Perdida is reached by a…
Mompox & Honda
The River Magdalena flows from the south of…
With remote lodges and miles of untouched coast…
San Agustin is an impressive archaeological site,…
Tayrona National Park is on the Caribbean Coast.…
The mighty Amazon passes through the southernmost…
Villa de Leyva
Travelling north from Bogota, you reach the…